You are here
Home > Governmental > How to Cancel HMRC

How to Cancel HMRC

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs also know as HMRC is the UK non-ministerial Department responsible for the collecting taxes, payments and customs authority. The main purpose is to collect the money that pays the public services and also to help families in needs. It was founded in 2005 by the Act of Parliament in 2005 replacing the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise. In this article, you’ll be able to understand how to cancel your HMRC in case you are receiving already a benefit from them or how to cancel a payment on an account, how to cancel a self-assessment, a direct debit or an HMRC account. To do that you have to follow the necessary steps explained below:

  • Visit the website
  • Read the frequently asked questions and help pages
  • Contact the HMRC Customer Service 0300 790 6802


This information about the HMRC will act like a multi-step guide created for you in order to help you understand how to easily cancel your HMRC account or service. With each step you’ll take reading this piece of information, you will understand how to cancel those services properly in order to save time and money. If you want to find more about this non-ministerial Department, don’t hesitate to visit the HMRC contact numbers page.

Step 1 – Enter Main HMRC Website

HMRC Main Website
Entering the section of the HMRC on the government’s website you will be able to find the best source of information that will help you to understand how to cancel your HMRC account or services.

  • First enter the main HMRC website
  • Know exactly what HMRC service you want to cancel
  • Prepare a payment method in case you have to pay some cancellation fees

Step 2 – Login to your HMRC account or register

Login Register HMRC
The second step when you want to cancel a HMRC service is to login or register the website. Once you are logged in or registered, you can visit and cancel different services you have with them like a personal tax account, Self Assessment, Paye for employers and Vat or Corporation tax. Click the HMRC Sign In button of you already have an account. When you login in your HMRC online account you will be able to access your account about these services:

  • Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing
  • Charities Online
  • Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI)
  • EC Sales List (ECSL)
  • Corporation Tax
  • Import Control System (ICS)
  • Employment Intermediaries
  • Personal tax account
  • VAT
  • Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)
  • Excise Movement and Control System (EMCS)
  • Gambling Tax Service
  • PAYE for employers
  • Machine Games Duty
  • Shared Workspace
  • Notification of Vehicles Arrivals (NOVA)
  • PAYE for employers
  • Pensions Schemes Online
  • New Computerised Transit System (NCTS)
  • Reverse Charge Sales List
  • Self Assessment
  • VAT Mini One Stop Shop
  • Stamp Taxes
  • VAT EU Refunds

Step 3 – Cancel HMRC Services and Products

cancel HMRC services

HMRC Cancel Vat Registration

cancel vat registration
If you are no longer eligible to be VAT registered you must cancel your HMRC Vat registration. In case you join a VAT group or you stop trading VAT taxable supplies, you need to cancel your VAT within 30 days, otherwise you may face penalties. If your VAT taxable turnover falls below the deregistration threshold of ?83,000 you can ask Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs to cancel your registration. To start your cancellation of VAT registration online you need to click the Deregister for VAT button and start the process of cancellation on the tax website of the government.
sign in cancel hmrc vat

It will take approximately 3 weeks for the de-registration of the VAT from HMRC. You will receive the confirmation in your VAT online account. You have to stop charging VAT from the moment of de-registration and keep your VAT records for at least 6 years. If you realise you should not cancel your VAT, HMRC will automatically re-register your VAT. After you have cancelled your VAT you will need to submit a final VAT return.

HMRC Cancel Self Employment

HMRC Cancel Self Employment
If you want to stop being self-employed, you need to tell HMRC if you have stopped trading as a sole trader or in the case you are leaving or ending a business partnership. You will have to tell employees that you are closing your business and you will need to send final tax returns. You have to Tell HMRC you are stopping self-employment and they will cancel your Class 2 National Insurance contributions.

HMRC Stop Being an Employer

HMRC stop being an employer

If you want to stop being an employer, you have to inform HMRC right away if your business stops employing people.

HMRC Cancel Paye Scheme

HMRC Closing Paye Scheme

When closing your PAYE scheme you will have to submit a final payroll return, an Employer Payment Summary ?or a Full Payment Submission. You have to deduct and pay the outstanding tax and also the National Insurance to HMRC within 17 days, you need to select the Final submission because scheme ceased box and put the date closed your PAYE scheme in the DATE scheme ceased box. You will need also to:

send your benefits and expenses returns
give your employees a P45 on the last day
enter a leaving date on each employee’s payroll card

HMRC Cancel Self Assessment

HMRC Cancel Self Assessment
When you stop being self-employed you need to send a Self Assessment tax return if you stop being a sole trader or you are leaving a business partnership before the deadline. When you will send the return, you have to:

calculate your capital allowances
– calculate your final profit or loss
– work out the trading income
– add up the allowable expenses
– work out if you owe Capital Gains Tax

Step 4 ? Contact The HMRC Customer Service Contact Number Helpline

As you could see from this article, it is not very difficult to cancel HMRC services. You can cancel your VAT registration online very easy, you can also cancel HMRC self employment or cancel to be an Employer. You can also understand how to Cancel HMRC Paye Scheme and to cancel HMRC Self Assessment online. However, if you are not able to do that or it seems too complicated for you, then contact the HMRC phone number 0300 790 6802 where you will be prompted by a member of the customer service number providing your assistance with any queries you may have!

One thought on “How to Cancel HMRC

  1. Hello, I just registered and received my utr number for sole trader a week ago how do I cancel it so I can get paid by paye, I haven’t been paid as of yet

Leave a Reply